Sunday, March 13, 2011

Perspective.

Cash and I had a major setback setback last week. He has been diagnosed with Navicular Syndrome and has effectively been retired. This diagnosis has traditionally been associated with a slow decline in soundness and eventual euthanasia. In fact, the vet who diagnosed Cash, essentially suggested palliative shoeing which sets the ball in motion for decline.

My hoof trimmer, who keeps herself very up to date with the latest research regarding horse hoof health, is far more optimistic. Which, of course, sent me scuttling off to the internet to begin my own research. You wanna know something, Cash may just able to be rehabilitated. But that is not the point of this post.....

I spent three days in the doldrums over my horse...A HORSE, PEOPLE!!!

Japan, on the other hand, has been plunged into an apocalyptic state with potentially thousands dead, an unknown number missing, thousands injured, water and food scarce, vital infrastructure destroyed, a radioactive meltdown reality and the imminent threat of continued aftershocks. Japan is existing in a nightmare of destruction with no immediate way to safety. The psychological, fiscal, environmental and structural recovery will take years.

My horse issues are pretty insignificant in comparison.

8 comments:

  1. I hope Cash will be ok!

    I'snt the Japan diasaster shocking! I got so upset watching the coverage on TV. I can't imagine anything more scary. Words fail me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HH and I were in shock watching the live news feed on TV. We have a television, but only watch it rarely, so to turn it on and watch what was unfolding in Japan....it was gut-wrenching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad I don't have television. Radio, newspapers and the occasional dip into the internet are enough. It is all just so horrible and scary. Don't feel bad about being in the doldrums over Cash...he is your baby! I hope it all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your horse. I've been thinking the same thing about gardening. It seems very trivial when Japan is going through such tragic events right now. It's very heartbreaking and does put things into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Things like Japan are terrible but I don't think you can compare one to the other your horse is part of your family don't feel guilty about worrying about family

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to agree with all comments. Cash is very special to you and in your daily life. You can only have control over so much! Other things are out of our control.
    Certainly his prognosis sounds better than you first thought. It's funny the things that come back. When I read your post, I remembered how I sobbed for days when I found out that my pony was about 10 years older than we had been first told. I was devestated as to me it seemed as if I would lose him sooner. Turned out he lived to ripe old age into his 30's. Things always work out the way they are meant to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daffodil when I was a much younger lass one of my horses had navicular disease. We retired her too, but she was fine, and in fact is still living on a farm down on the Gold Coast. She'd have to be in her late teens now. At least. She was a solid horse, fat as a house actually. Anyway, I hope that makes you feel a little better. It's always a shock to hear this kind of news, but once that wears off hopefully you'll feel a little better :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is awful isn't it :( Every day, horror after horror and yet the Japanese remain so calm, stoic and so good to each other. You'd never see an orderly queue or that level of civility here if a disaster of that scale hit and there was no fresh water, food, warmth...

    I'm sorry about Cash :( You should never apologise or feel guilty about caring so much for a member of your family which he obviously is! I hope he will be ok.

    ReplyDelete