Friday, January 28, 2011

Saturday Vintage

Another little piece of vintage kitchenalia is an old butter churn. I picked this up a few years ago as an eBay purchase when I was in fully gung-ho the world is doomed and I will have to produce my own butter without the assistance of a mixmaster.

I have toned things down a little bit, and while I am a closet doomer, I keep the soap box in the shipping container where it is harder to access.

So, I picked up this butter churn in Ballarat, completely blew my eco-footprint out of the water in the process, but it was so worth it. When I removed the lid, a waft of buttery creamery goodness erupted from within this little treasure and for a fleeting second I could see myself churning cream into butter, turning the handle over and over again, feeling the texture thicken as the cream complied with laws of physics. Imagining the wooden insides becoming even more conditioned as the cream fat rolled over it again, and again on its way to becoming butter. This is how butter has been made in the past, it can be done again.


I just need a jersey cow and it will be on for young and old.

No comments:

Post a Comment